Skip to main content

DIY Window cleaner

     Okay, I am going to admit that I really don't enjoy cleaning house.  I love the house when it is clean and everything smells fresh but actually doing the work is one of my least favorite things to do.  I would rather be outside with the children or with the animals.  I don't even mind weeding the flower beds and the garden and mowing the grass can be quiet meditating.  So amazingly enough I have cleaned several windows today.  What, you may ask, ever inspired me to do such a thing like that?  After all, that is housework.
     It really was a combination of things.  First, the front door had so many hand prints on it that I thought my vision was going blurry.  It had to be cleaned and I couldn't put it off another day.  Next, I made my own window cleaner!  Yep, that's right! I made it all by myself with things I had here at home.
     I guess your wondering why I would ever make my own window cleaner.  That stuff isn't very expensive at the stores and I don't use it that often.  Well, my daddy always calls me a tightwad.  He says that I am so tight that I squeak when I walk.  So this one is for you daddy!
Recipe:
1/4 Cup Alcohol
1/2 Cup Vinegar
1-1/2 Cups Water
Food Coloring Optional
     True, it does only cost pennies.  This helps our budget.  (Yes I said that bad "b" word.)  I am a stay at home mom so I try to save money whenever possible.  This was a "no brain er" product to make.  I use three ingredients:  water, vinegar and rubbing alcohol (I also chose to add a little food coloring for color so the kids didn't use my window cleaner to spray my plants or each other).  The way I figure it I pay less than a quarter for my new cleaner.  Now that is affordable!

     My first thoughts were, "vinegar and alcohol is sure to leave an odor".  I was wrong.  As I used the cleaner I couldn't really smell it even though I tried.  The true test was when the children came home from school.  Not a word from them either.  Matter of fact, I got so excited about my new "affordable" product that I even cleaned all the windows in the car.  Again, not a word from the children.  So there was obviously no odor.  I generally clean my windows with a product that has ammonia in it.  Now that stuff leaves an odor every time I use it.
Window with handprints
Window after using my new cleaner

     Does it work as good as the store bought products? You betcha!  Matter of fact, it might work better.  The windshield in my car has never been so clean.  Plus it inspired me to clean windows.  That was worth it all.  Maybe next time the windows need cleaning I want dread it so bad knowing that I made the cleaner for a whole lot less money than I could have bought it for.
     If ever you need to clean your windows and you dread it terribly, try making your own window cleaner.  It may inspire you like it did me.  Also, if you run out of window cleaner and you need to clean up before the company comes, this is an easy product to make with things you can usually find in the cabinets.

Posted by Mama

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Bradley Walk Behind Tractor and Engine Swap

"A scythe is great for your back but very hard on your patience" - Patrick at Far Better Farmstead      It all started when it rained 80 inches this summer. Yes, I said 80 inches! Needless to say, I didn't get to put up much hay with my scythe and rake. I did do one good cutting, but should have got 2 or 3 and even the one cutting didn't cover the whole field. As much as I like the scythe, I started wanting a quicker way to cut a small amount of hay.  My fantasy rig is my old 600 Ford tractor with a sickle bar, rake, and old square baler. I sold the 600 several years ago and have regretted it every since. My second fantasy was a BCS or Grillo walk behind tarctor. You can get a sickle for them and many other implements as well. Both options are out of reach of our budget right now, so that's why I call them fantasies rather than options! As I searched around the web, I found out that Sears used to sell a walk-behind tractor called the David Bradley.

Outdoor Wood Furnace

It's that time of year again! Every year about mid-October we fire up the wood furnace and it stays lit until April or so, depending on the weather. This will be our 5th winter with this stove, so we have plenty of experience with an outdoor wood furnace in case anyone is interested. I know what the advertising says and I know what the reality is. So let's get started! Purchased in 2008, our wood furnace keeps us really warm!

Building a Whizbang Wheel Hoe

I am a fan of Herrick Kimball from  the Deliberate Agrarian . I have read every blog post at his web site, built a whizbang chicken plucker (see it  here ), and own most of his books. So imagine my joy on Christmas morning when I unwrapped a Whizbang Wheel Hoe kit from Herrick's  Planet Whizbang  web site.  The contents were just some metal pieces, bolts and washers: