Skip to main content

10 Good Things (and 1 Bad Thing) That Happened to Me on the Keto Diet


People tell me now that I look MORE than 20 years younger. On the left is a picture from 1997 and on the right from 2017.
 
I have been more or less on a ketogenic type diet for 2 years now. When I started the diet was more popularly called the LCHF diet (low carb high fat). My daughter calls it the “man-food” diet because I  eat a lot of bacon and ribeyes. I struggle at times with chocolate but I can truly say that this is no longer a diet but a lifestyle for me that I have very much enjoyed.  Since I have started I have noticed a lot of changes in my body and I wanted to note a few. Of course if you start eating like this your results may be entirely different, but here are mine:

1.       A1C Dropped
When I started the diet in February of 2016 my A1C was a 5.7. It started falling almost immediately and was a 5.1 within 6 months. The last time I measured it was a 4.8. Big improvement.
 

2.       Weight Dropped
I literally seemed like the weight fell off effortlessly. I lost 64 pounds in 8 months and my weight has been +/- 2 pounds for the last year and a half.  I have always struggled with my weight and this is the longest I have ever kept any weight off in my life.
 

3.       Blood Pressure Dropped
In February of 2016 I was on blood pressure medicine and my blood pressure still ran close to 140/85. I now am off of the meds and it is typically around 130/80. Not super, but a real reduction. When I was prescribed blood pressure medicine originally 7 years ago it was 180/100.
 

4.       Skin Tags Shrunk
The skin tags under my arms have always kinda freaked me out. Well, some of them just disappeared but others have shrank considerably.
 

5.       Blood Vessels in my Toes Cleared Up
I had lots of small blood vessels on my toes that had burst and were staining the tops of my toes. I had asked my doctor about them and he did not seem concerned.  He did say that they would not go away, ever. But after the first year they cleared up!
 

6.       Feet Quit Swelling
In the evenings my feet and lower legs used to be swelled up and puffy. About 2 weeks after I started the keto diet the swelling went away and has not come back.
 

7.       My Skin Cleared Up
I never had bad acne my I still had some pimples in places. It seemed that I always had a bump or two on my chest and several “ingrown hairs” on my legs.  Well it is now a very rare event for me to have any pimple anywhere. I figure the animal fat in my diet would cause acne but it didn’t.
 

8.       No More Gas
Let’s just say that my wife quit having dreams that she was in a war zone!  I couldn’t believe it but it is actually very rare now for me to even pass gas at all. Trust me, my entire family noticed.
 

9.       No More Heartburn
I used to keep TUMS in my pocket, in my car, in my desk, and in my medicine cabinet. Well there is part of a bottle in the medicine cabinet still, but I haven’t needed them. Correction – I ate some (ok a lot) of chocolate at Christmas and immediately needed the TUMS.  As soon as I went back to keto, the heartburn went away again.
 

10.   Blood Lipids Improved
People ask me, “Well what did keto do to your cholesterol?” and I get to answer “It actually got much better!”  My HDL went up , my LDL went down, and probably most amazingly my triglycerides stabilized below 100. For 20 years my triglycerides had been 600 or above. 6 months after starting keto all of my lipid numbers were in range for the first time in my adult life!
 

And now for the one bad thing:

1.       I Became  a Choco-holic
I used to kinda laugh at my wife about her affection for chocolate but I don’t anymore! I lost my cravings for any other sweet but now I am an avowed choco-holic. I can sense when there is chocolate within 50 feet of me…..chocolate bars sing to me from the grocery store shelf……..I have actually eaten chocolate and hid the evidence from my wife. She just laughs at me because she knows how it is. I can go a month or two between binges, but then I will eat it every day for a week. Oh well, everything can’t be perfect……
 

I am not a doctor and I do not give medical advice, but I can say that I truly believe that eating keto for the last 2 years has greatly improved my health. I don’t ever plan on going back to a high carb lifestyle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Bradley Walk Behind Tractor and Engine Swap

"A scythe is great for your back but very hard on your patience" - Patrick at Far Better Farmstead      It all started when it rained 80 inches this summer. Yes, I said 80 inches! Needless to say, I didn't get to put up much hay with my scythe and rake. I did do one good cutting, but should have got 2 or 3 and even the one cutting didn't cover the whole field. As much as I like the scythe, I started wanting a quicker way to cut a small amount of hay.  My fantasy rig is my old 600 Ford tractor with a sickle bar, rake, and old square baler. I sold the 600 several years ago and have regretted it every since. My second fantasy was a BCS or Grillo walk behind tarctor. You can get a sickle for them and many other implements as well. Both options are out of reach of our budget right now, so that's why I call them fantasies rather than options! As I searched around the web, I found out that Sears used to sell a walk-behind tractor called the David Bradley.

Outdoor Wood Furnace

It's that time of year again! Every year about mid-October we fire up the wood furnace and it stays lit until April or so, depending on the weather. This will be our 5th winter with this stove, so we have plenty of experience with an outdoor wood furnace in case anyone is interested. I know what the advertising says and I know what the reality is. So let's get started! Purchased in 2008, our wood furnace keeps us really warm!

Building a Whizbang Wheel Hoe

I am a fan of Herrick Kimball from  the Deliberate Agrarian . I have read every blog post at his web site, built a whizbang chicken plucker (see it  here ), and own most of his books. So imagine my joy on Christmas morning when I unwrapped a Whizbang Wheel Hoe kit from Herrick's  Planet Whizbang  web site.  The contents were just some metal pieces, bolts and washers: