Skip to main content

Day 2 - Milking the Goat


Goat milk!
The early bird gets the worm, so the old saying goes.  As for me, the early mom gets the milk.  Day two of milking the goat finds me better prepared.  I have fixed the hanging light in the barn so that even the neighbors should be able to see.  And just in case it isn't working correctly, I have one of those handy flashlights that go on your head.  I am definitely going to be able to see what I am doing this morning.  I have the grain pre measured so Sadie won't have to get anxious before I ever get started.

Warm clothes on. Flash light on head. Udder wash in one hand. Grain in the other hand. Arm wrapped around my milk bowl. All set to go!  Open the door to a great surprise....snow!  Now this I wasn't prepared for.  Change boots to some that are more snow proof and head to the barn.
Just like yesterday, the kids are bawling and Sadie immediately jumps up on the milk stand. She again is looking at me like "can't your hurry up?".  I fumble around and get the light on and sure enough I can see great!  Put the grain in the dish for Sadie, and the race is on!
Quickly I wipe her udder clean. She kicks around in disagreement but I am determined to milk her.  After wiping the udder I place my bowl on the stand and proceed to milk, remembering to close the  teat with the thumb and fore finger while squeezing out the milk with my other fingers.  Several squeezes and I get nothing.  But I continue on and after about 10 squeezes or so, I get wonderfully white milk!  I am so excited!  This has been a little better experience than yesterday already.
After milking for a while, I am beginning to feel a little more confident so I decide to move to the "other" side (the side where Sadie is so comfortably leaned up against the wall).  Sadie doesn't want me to touch her but I am determined.  I continue trying to get her away from the wall so I can get to her teat, unaware that she is eating grain as fast as she possibly can.  Finally I get some milk squeezed out, all over my hand.  I squeeze milk on my hand several more times and realize that I am going to have to get Sadie away from that wall so that I can get to the teat a little better.  I try to move her a little but she is as stubborn as a mule.  Finally she decides to move a little and I get some milk in the bowl.  I am thrilled!
Suddenly out of nowhere she squats down almost in the bowl.  My first thought is that she is "going to use the bathroom on me." I quickly jerk the bowl out of the way.  Then I notice that she is out of grain.   I guess this is her way of saying, " no grain-no milk".  I try a few more times to milk her but she continues to squat every time I touch her teats.  Once again she has won the race.
" And thou shalt have goats' milk
enough for thy food, for the food
of thy household, and for the
maintenance for thy maidens"
Proverbs 27:27
I let her out of the stand and let the kids have breakfast.  I do not leave the barn undefeated.  I have some milk and plan to measure it.  Once I get into the house I strain the milk and my husband lets me know that there was a hair in it (the reason why I strain it).  I measure and find I have almost 4 ounces.  That may not seem like much to some but it is better than yesterday.  I have accomplished to milk both sides and came in with fairly clean milk.
Sadie may have won the battle but I am still in the fight!



Comments

  1. Would you have any recommendations on books about goats? Or perhaps an informative blog or website?
    Congrats to Sadie and the kids...and y'all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We are very excited. A book that has helped a lot is "Storey's Guide Guide to Raising Dairy Goats" by Jerry Belanger. A favorite website/blog is The Prairie Homestead (it's on our Blog List on the right-hand side). Jill's got a section called Goat 101 that has a lot of good and encouraging articles.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

David Bradley Walk Behind Tractor and Engine Swap

"A scythe is great for your back but very hard on your patience" - Patrick at Far Better Farmstead      It all started when it rained 80 inches this summer. Yes, I said 80 inches! Needless to say, I didn't get to put up much hay with my scythe and rake. I did do one good cutting, but should have got 2 or 3 and even the one cutting didn't cover the whole field. As much as I like the scythe, I started wanting a quicker way to cut a small amount of hay.  My fantasy rig is my old 600 Ford tractor with a sickle bar, rake, and old square baler. I sold the 600 several years ago and have regretted it every since. My second fantasy was a BCS or Grillo walk behind tarctor. You can get a sickle for them and many other implements as well. Both options are out of reach of our budget right now, so that's why I call them fantasies rather than options! As I searched around the web, I found out that Sears used to sell a walk-behind tractor called the David Bradley.

Outdoor Wood Furnace

It's that time of year again! Every year about mid-October we fire up the wood furnace and it stays lit until April or so, depending on the weather. This will be our 5th winter with this stove, so we have plenty of experience with an outdoor wood furnace in case anyone is interested. I know what the advertising says and I know what the reality is. So let's get started! Purchased in 2008, our wood furnace keeps us really warm!

Building a Whizbang Wheel Hoe

I am a fan of Herrick Kimball from  the Deliberate Agrarian . I have read every blog post at his web site, built a whizbang chicken plucker (see it  here ), and own most of his books. So imagine my joy on Christmas morning when I unwrapped a Whizbang Wheel Hoe kit from Herrick's  Planet Whizbang  web site.  The contents were just some metal pieces, bolts and washers: